The first details for Company of Heroes 2 have hit the net, and they read very nicely…
The latest details come thanks to the recent scans of PC Gamer – which broke the initial reveal for the return of the franchise. The new details confirm plaers taking control of the Soviets as they battle against the Third Reich. There’s also details surrounding the new “True sight” technology which will see player reacting to what they can see through their line of sight. The cover system has faced a revamp according to the mag, with a more realistic support for troops.
Finally, and just like the original, the environments will remain destructible – but to what extent is currently unknown. Expect an official announement very soon, but until then, check out the detaiils below:
- Company of Heroes 2 will see players controlling the Soviets in an effort to repel the invading Nazi forces.
- Snow will now play “a major part on the battlefield”. Snow will fall and melt dynamically. This will also slow soldiers and tanks based on its depth.
- Company of Heroes is powered by the Essence 3 engine.
- The cover system has been revamped to act more realistically, and will now see soldiers being able to vault over obstacles.
- The soldier’s line of sight plays an even more significant tactical role here, with the game’s fog of war based on what your soldier’s “can actually see”. Relic are calling this system “True Sight”, which will cause areas of the map to be “grayed out”. This will see enemies within that zone turn invisible by buildings, items of cover, or dropped smoke grenades.
- Company of Heroes lead designer Quinn Duffy confirms the game aims to represent the “vicious” battles that took place on the Eastern front.
- The scenery is highly destructible – that includes barn-burning flamethrowers.
- Multiplayer is confirmed but no details yet
- The game is due out 2013.